Male, female, and mixed high school quartets in the Far Western District of the Barbershop Harmony Society are invited to compete in these annual contests. The contests are held in conjunction with the District's divisional conventions – Northern CA, Southern CA, and Arizona – in the spring of each year. A Division Champion will be crowned for each of the District's five divisions: Arizona, Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, and Southwest. The highest-scoring quartet from the five division contests will be named the District Champion, and a cash prize awarded to their school. Founded in 1991 by, and perpetuated in the memory of Lloyd Steinkamp, the Far Western District High School Quartet Contest continues to be fun-filled and exciting for all the participants.
Announcing the 30th Annual Far Western District
High School Barbershop Quartet Contests 2020
Dates and Locations
Information and Registration Forms
- The contests are open to male, female and mixed high school quartets in California, Hawaii, Nevada, Arizona, and Southern Utah.
- Each quartet member must be currently attending a high school.
- Each quartet is to sing two barbershop songs in good taste in the contest.
- All competing high school quartet members receive complimentary convention registrations*.
- There is no fee to participate, but the students are responsible for their travel, lodging, and meal expenses. In some cases, quartets can obtain sponsorships from local chapters to help offset these costs.
* High school quartet members who are ALSO competing with a chorus or quartet in the regular BHS contest must purchase their convention registration at the COMPETITOR rate.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- You should arrive on Friday if at all possible, or early Saturday morning at the latest.
- Plan to stay through the Saturday evening events if possible. The winning quartet will perform on the Saturday Evening Show of Champions, which will include the top scoring quartets from the day’s competition.
WHAT TO DO:
- Ask your local barbershop chapter to help you with music and coaching.
- Download and fill out the HSQC REGISTRATION FORM (see link above). It can be filled out on your computer using Mac Preview or Adobe Reader version 8.0 or later.
- Email the registration form to Richard Lund (email and snail mail addresses are on the form).
- Make travel and hotel arrangements**.
- Practice, practice, practice.
- Get there and sing your heart out.
** For contest & hotel location information, please see the dates and locations links above.
We will take care of the complementary convention registrations for your quartet members and one music educator or chaperone and send you your tickets via email.