Male high school quartets in the Far Western District of the Barbershop Harmony Society are invited to compete in this annual contest. This contest is held in conjunction with the District's Spring Convention, where the men's quartets compete to qualify to compete at the Barbershop Harmony Society's Summer Convention in July. Founded in 1991 by, and perpetuated in the memory of, Lloyd Steinkamp, this contest has been fun-filled and exciting for all the participants. A history of winners is featured here.
Soundsations - 2016 Far Western District High School Quartet Champions
Chase Bradley (Bari), Mason Oakes (Bass), David Genge (Lead), Colin Alm (Tenor)
Announcing the 27th Annual Far Western District
High School Barbershop Quartet Contest
Saturday, March 11, 2017, in Sacramento, CA
- The contest is open to male high school quartets in California, Hawaii, Nevada, Arizona, and Southern Utah.
- Each quartet member must be currently attending a high school.
- Each quartet is to sing two barbershop songs in good taste in the contest.
- All competing high school quartet members receive complimentary convention registrations.
- There is no fee to participate, but the students are responsible for their travel, lodging, and meal expenses. In some cases, quartets can obtain sponsorships from local chapters to help offset these costs.
- Judging will be provided by current and former Far Western District Quartet Champions.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- You should arrive on Friday if at all possible, or early Saturday morning at the latest.
- Plan on staying through the Saturday evening events if you can. The winning quartet will perform on the Saturday Evening Show of Champions, which will include the top competitors from the men's contest.
- A High School afterglow is included late Saturday night where top quartets will sing and invite students to sing with them.
WHAT TO DO:
- Ask your local barbershop chapter to help you with music and coaching.
- Download and fill out the
It can be filled out on your computer using Mac Preview or Adobe Reader version 8.0 or later.
- Email the registration form to Bruce Sellnow (options for FAX or snail mail are on the form).
- Make travel and hotel arrangements.
- Practice, practice, practice.
- Get there and sing your heart out.
Contest Location Information: See "FWD Spring Convention" on the District Events website
Headquarters Hotel Information: See "FWD Spring Convention" on the District Events website
Information and Registration Forms