It was a terrific chorus contest with a long list of incredible moments, starting with the curtain opening to reveal a “Joe Barbershop” mic tester chorus with a count in the triple digits. We also had a “first” in the contest this year, with a performance by the Stockton Portsmen Mixed Barbershop Chorus representing the Mixed Barbershop Harmony Association.
The contest also had some surprises, one of which was the East Valley Barbershop Harmonizers from the Mesa, AZ Chapter who, in their district debut, scored solidly in the 70s, placing 6th and winning the Plateau A championship.
Fog City Singers from Barbary Coast, CA and Voices of California from the California Delta Chapter both finished in the 80s. Although we won’t know until all district contests have completed in mid-November, it’s reasonable to predict that the FWD will be sending three choruses to the international contest in Salt Lake City next July.
And then there is Westminster. One could easily describe their performance with a long list of superlatives, but the one that best summarizes is spellbinding.
The Westminster Chorus, 2018 FWD Chorus Champion
The top five:
- The Westminster Chorus - Westminster, CA - 1692 94.0% 58
- Fog City Singers - Barbary Coast, CA - 1564 86.9% 28
- Voices of California - California Delta - 1450 80.6% 46
- Pacific Coast Harmony - La Jolla, CA - 1408 78.2% 19
- Gaslight Chorus - Brea, CA - 1359 75.5% 24
Chorus Contest Results
- The Westminster Chorus qualifies to represent the Far Western District at the International Chorus Contest next July.
- The Westminster Chorus is the District Chorus Champion.
- East Valley Barbershop Harmonizers is the Far Western District Plateau A Champion.
- The Oceanaires is the Far Western District Plateau AA Champion.
- The Westminster Chorus is the Far Western District Plateau AAA Champion.