Latest news for the Far Western District Fall Convention, October 15-18, 2015 in Mesa, Arizona.
- The Headquarters Hotel is now SOLD OUT. Please visit the convention page for more hotel options.
- The Panel of Judges for the Chorus and Quartet contests has been published.
- The Convention Program Advertising Form has been published. This is a great way to promote your quartet or publicize your Christmas show. The deadline for submitting your ad is September 15.
- A new hotel - Baymont Inn & Suites - has been added to the options for hotels in the area. The hotel offers a great rate, and they are located on the Metro line.
- A block of 40 rooms has been added to the Headquarters Hotel for Wednesday, October 14 to accomodate those who are participating in the Harmony Platoon activities the following morning.
- Preliminary Singing Orders for the 2015 Far Western District Fall Quartet Semi-Finals and Chorus Finals have been published.
- The Metro Light-Rail extension will be open in time for the convention. This is great news for those of you flying in to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. Now you can take the train directly from the airport to the convention site. Good-bye expensive shuttles and cabs!
- Choruses and quartets who wish to sit together are advised to use the group registration option. Seating will be assigned in the order received. Register early to get the best seats.
Quartet Final Scores
July 7, 2015 – The technical difficulties have been resolved, and the much-awaited Scoring Summary from the July 4th Quartet Finals have been published.
Quartet Final results
PITTSBURGH, Penn., July 4, 2015 – There was a technical difficulty producting the scoring summary for the quartet finals. Raw scores have been provided, and the official summary will be posted as soon as it has been made available by C&J.
Quartet Name – First round – Second round – Third Round – Avg
- Instant Classic -2818 – 5525 – 8343- 92.7%
- Forefront – 2771 – 5561 – 8332 – 92.6%
- Main Street – 2830 – 5483 – 8313 – 92.4%
- Lemon Squeezy – 2780 – 5439 – 8219 – 91.3%
- Throwback – 2678 – 5396 – 8074 – 89.7%
- A Mighty Wind – 2648 – 5311 – 7959 – 88.4%
- The Crush – 2631 – 5292 – 7923 – 88.0%
- After Hours – 2653 – 5269 – 7922 – 88.0%
- Quorum – 2601 – 5171 – 7772 – 86.4%
- Artistic License – 2616 – 5153 – 7769 – 86.3%
WESTMINSTER WINS GOLD!
PITTSBURGH, Penn., July 3, 2015 – The Westminster Chorus has taken the Gold Medal at the International Chorus Contest. Singing A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes and Sieze The Day (from "Newsies"), the 74 man chorus earned a total score of 2924 for a whopping average of 97.5%. Yes, you read it right: 97.5%.
Here are the top five choruses:
- Westminster, CA - The Westminster Chorus (FWD) - 74 men, 97.5%
- St. Charles, MO - Ambassadors of Harmony (CSD) - 153 men, 95.6%
- Metro Kansas City, MO - Central Standard (CSD) - 45 men, 92.8%
- Alexandria, VA - Alexandria Harmonizers (MAD) - 212 men, 90.2%
- Nashville, TN - Music City Chorus (DIX) - 81 men, 89.7%
CONGRATULATIONS to Westminster - 2015 International Chorus Champions!
All International Preliminaries and Divisional Contests have completed, and the overall results have been tabulated. The Far Western District is sending six quartets, one college quartet, and two choruses in the International Contests in Pittsburgh. Moreover, twenty-seven quartets and twenty-five choruses will be competing at the Far Western District Fall contests in Mesa, Arizona. Eighteen quartets and twenty-three choruses qualified by virtue of their score at the divisional contests, and the remainder have been invited to compete as wildcard contestants, by order of their average score, to complete the roster of 25 contestants in each contest; two additional quartets qualify in the Senior division.
SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 9, 2015 – The combined Southeast and Southwest Divisions Convention opened today at Barnum Hall in Santa Monica. The quartet contest began at 10:00 AM, with twenty one quartets in the contest. Current Far Western District Quartet Champion "American Pastime" was the mic tester. Here are the results of the quartet contest.
MESA, Ariz., March 25, 2015 – The Arizona Division Quartet Contest got underway just before Noon, with Harmony Platoon Champion "Evolution" leading off as the Mic Tester Quartet. Fourteen quartets took the stage to compete the contest. We were pleased to have Branigan compete out of division here for the second year in a row. We're guessing they like us better.
- Suit Up! is the Arizona Divison Quartet Champion
- Carefree Highway is the Arizona Division Senior Quartet Champion
- Batteries Not Included is the Arizona Division Novice Quartet Champion
Six quartets have qualified to compete at the Far Western District Quartet Contest in Mesa this coming October.
The results are in for the 2015 FWD Spring Convention. This is a "blog" style article that provides a summary of each contest event as the results were received.
Read more for a summary of:
- FWD International Quartet Preliminaries (Semi-Finals and Finals)
- Northeast and Northwest Division Quartet Finals
- FWD High School Quartet Contest
- Northeast and Northwest Division Chorus Finals
All official scoring summaries have been posted. They can be found at Media -> Latest Scoresheets on this site.
SANTA FE SPRINGS, CA, March 17, 2015— Premier men's a cappella chorus and eight-time international champion Masters of Harmony from Santa Fe Springs, CA was called to the table by The Vocal Majority chorus of Dallas, TX via YouTube in March to accept a "tag challenge" to raise $50 for the benefit of their mutual charity, the Harmony Foundation of the Barbershop Harmony Society in Nashville, TN. "Hey, we love Texas Hold 'Em as much as the next guys, so we're going all in!" said Ron Andreas, Masters of Harmony President. The Masters accepted the challenge and raised over $1,350 for the Foundation from its members.
NEW ORLEANS (January 10, 2015) — High Priority from the Greater Phoenix Chapter has taken the Second Place Silver Medal at the International Seniors Quartet Finals in New Orleans at the BHS International Midwinter Convention. The quartet sang "Forgive Me" and "You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me" to earn a total score of 1357 (Avg 75.4).
High Priority features Ray Estes on Tenor, Byron Bennett on Lead, Mark House on Baritone and Dan Davenport on Bass. They were also named the 2014 Far Western District Senior Quartet Championship at the contests held in Fresno last October.
NEW ORLEANS (January 9, 2015) — The Chandler (Arizona) High School Men's Choir was honored Friday with an OUTSTANDING RATING and AUDIENCE FAVORITE award at the eighth annual International Youth Barbershop Chorus Festival in New Orleans.